My husband has been going through a particularly busy patch with grad work this semester and while it is safe to say that I do see him off to work every weekday morning, our time to spend together has all but dwindled to about an hour and a half in the evenings. We make the most of this meaningful time, though: this is when we cook dinner!
Cooking for me is a fairly new endeavor. My husband deserves the accolades for cooking in the past but, given our current season of life – I was excited to step up to the plate (ha!), and have started creating our weekly dinner menus. Because of this, I truly look forward to this time together because it not only gives us a set “dinner date” nearly every night of the week, but also has given me the confidence to do something that I was so weary of before. Sure, we eat a little later than most, but the time we get to spend in the kitchen and subsequent dinner together is totally worth it. I’m even finding that I love all this cooking going on in my kitchen! :-)
The first recipe I want to share is one of our recent favorites. We can usually save some for a following evening because there’s definitely enough for leftovers.
One Pot – Vegetarian Macaroni Chili
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground veggie crumbles or ground turkey (I use Lightlife: Smart Ground)
- 2 Tbs chili powder (I used powdered red chile, found at Whole Foods)
- 2 tsp taco seasoning (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can rinsed black beans
- 1 ½ Cups macaroni noodles
- 2 ½ Cups water
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- In a large pot (I used a dutch oven) heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté until softened, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add veggie crumbles or turkey and break into small pieces. Cook until brown.
- Add chili powder, taco seasoning, cumin, salt, tomatoes, beans, noodles, and water. Stir to combine, bring to a boil and then reduce to a medium low heat.
- Cook until noodles are soft, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese.
- Serve with more shredded cheese on top.